undelete files in msdosfs

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 19 22:02:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 09:28:03PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:00:39 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > After a nice day in the fields, my wife deleted accidently the pictures
> > in her cam; the microSD mounts fine in FreeBSD as -t msdosfs; do we have
> > some FreeBSD 10-CUR tool to undelete the files, as there are some for M$?

> We have plenty of them. From my "unbelievable list of tools for
> data recovery" and regarding that you are trying to recover files
> from a camera: "photorec". It's in the ports collection.

For the archives, it's in the sysutils/testdisk port.
(Not the first place one would look, I'd say)

Nice find, BTW. One for the list of recovery tools indeed.

> In the
> same context, "magicrescue" is worth mentioning. If they all
> fail, consider using TSK.

> Note: Do _not_ do ANY writes to the card! Mount it -o ro if needed.
> Make an 1:1 copy (using "dd_rescue" from ports), work with that
> copy. Everything that slips through fat fingers could reduce the
> chance of a successful recovery session. I know it. ;-)

If you took any more pictures with the same card in the camera, it is almost
guaranteed that some of the original pictures will not be recoverable because
they've been overwritten.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/