undelete files in msdosfs

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 18 19:28:17 UTC 2013

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:00:39 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> After a nice day in the fields, my wife deleted accidently the pictures
> in her cam; the microSD mounts fine in FreeBSD as -t msdosfs; do we have
> some FreeBSD 10-CUR tool to undelete the files, as there are some for M$?

We have plenty of them. From my "unbelievable list of tools for
data recovery" and regarding that you are trying to recover files
from a camera: "photorec". It's in the ports collection. In the
same context, "magicrescue" is worth mentioning. If they all
fail, consider using TSK.

Note: Do _not_ do ANY writes to the card! Mount it -o ro if needed.
Make an 1:1 copy (using "dd_rescue" from ports), work with that
copy. Everything that slips through fat fingers could reduce the
chance of a successful recovery session. I know it. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany