ZFS Snapshots Not able to be accessed under .zfs/snapshot/name

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Wed Aug 14 13:41:09 UTC 2013

I have a few systems running on ZFS with a backup script that creates
snapshots, then  backs up the .zfs/snapshot/name directory to make sure
open files are not missed.  This has been working great but all of the
sudden one of my systems has stopped working.  It takes the snapshots
fine, zfs list -t spnapshot shows the snapshots, but if you do an ls
command, on the .zfs/snapshot/ directory it returns not a directory.

part of the zfs list output:

NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot                      4.48G  29.7G    31K  none
zroot/ROOT                 2.92G  29.7G    31K  none
zroot/ROOT/91p5-20130812   2.92G  29.7G  2.92G  legacy
zroot/home                  144K  29.7G   122K  /home

part of the zfs list -t snapshot output:

NAME                                            USED  AVAIL  REFER
MOUNTPOINT
zroot/ROOT/91p5-20130812 at 91p5-20130812--bsnap   340K      -  2.92G  -
zroot/home at home--bsnap                           22K      -   122K  -

ls /.zfs/snapshot/91p5-20130812--bsnap/
Does work at the right now, since the last reboot, but wasn't always
working, this is my boot environment.

if I do ls /home/.zfs/snapshot/, result is:
ls: /home/.zfs/snapshot/: Not a directory

if I do ls /home/.zfs, result is:
ls: snapshot: Bad file descriptor
shares

I have tried zpool scrub zroot, no errors were found, if I reboot the
system I can get one good backup, then I start having problems.  Anyone
else ever ran into this, any suggestions as to a fix?

System is running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p5 #1 r253764: Mon Jul 29 15:07:35
CDT 2013, zpool is running version 28, zfs is running version 5

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer