Kernel Modules Documentation?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Tue Apr 30 14:07:23 UTC 2013

	I have a list of about 220 kernel modules and would like to find out what
	they do, or are for (none has a man page). I suspect that many of them
	are drivers for particular devices.

	Is there any resource or documentation available?

	Thanks.

	P.S. Here are the first few:
	ahc_eisa
	ahc_isa
	ahc_pci
	alias_cuseeme

See e.g. ahc(4).
However, what I do is:

makeoptions MODULES_OVERRIDE="geom/geom_part acl_nfs4"

in the kernel config file, or include whichever
modules you use. This way you only build/install
what you actually need. On some boxes I don't
build any modules at all:

makeoptions MODULES_OVERRIDE=""

Also, many drivers I build into the kernel,
because I use them all the time, so the extra
flexibility of modules is not required there.

Anton