Virtual Box service vboxheadless shutdown problems.

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Tue Apr 30 04:25:45 UTC 2013

I have recently setup a FreeBSD server to run virtual box, and a couple
of FreeBSD jails.  Performance is running great, but upon getting my UPS
setup with NUT, and running some reboot tests to verify that everything
is shutting down and starting up properly I ran into an issue.

The /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxheadless script is not shutting down the VM
properly, which in turn is causing other services to not stop properly.

I have set the following options in my rc.conf file

vboxnet_enable="YES"
vboxheadless_enable="YES"
vboxheadless_machines="HomeServer"
vboxheadless_user="dweimer"
vboxheadless_stop="acpipowerbutton"
vboxheadless_delay="0"

issuing service vboxheadless stop, does correctly shutdown the VM
cleanly, and of course service vboxheadless start starts everything OK.
But when running a shutdown command the shutdown process hangs, until it
gets a 90 sec watchdog timeout on the vboxheadless stop command.  The
VNC console to the VM, never shows any attempt for the VM to shutdown.
The windows VM, also doesn't show any events in the log as if it tried
to shutdown.

Has anyone else ran into this?  Or have any idea what to check to find
out more information as to what is happening to stop the shutdown
process from running correctly?

--
Thanks,
Dean E. Weimer