Upgrading from 7.4 to 9.1

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Sat Apr 27 16:27:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013, bsd at todoo.biz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if you would consider updating from 7.4 to 9.1 directly ?
>
> Has anyone tried that with success ?
>
> I plan to use the freebsd-update method.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> G.B.

If you are not a developer (I am not), I think the short answer don't do it. I
think the issue is leaving stuff behind that might hurt. Eventually would be
much worse than immediate problems, especially for a remote server.

My experience with freebsd-update has been if a mirror has the diff, then it
will work. That said, I have never skipped a version. Earlier threads on this
topic suggest its better to go to 8.0-rel then to the latest 8.x then to 9.

For me I used CD/DVD even though it meant a drive. I would not be too suprised
if freebsd-update balked at skipping 8. If you are physically with the system,
it will not take too much time to try it. The process of a minimal install from
CD then freebsd-update is not very long. If you are running Xorg, it is the only
way IMO.