FreeBSD as Samba Server and Windows as Client

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 19:54:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Richard Sharpe <
realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
> <m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear All ,
> >
> > I could be able to connect a FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 computer as client to a
> > Windows XP ( 32 bits ) by
> > using information supplied by the mail
> >

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-April/250500.html
> >
> > and I sent a mail
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2013-April/021857.html
> >
> > to share my findings .
> >

> > Previously , I tried to make a FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 as Samba server and
> > connect a Windows XP as a client computer .
> >
> > By using The FreeBSD Handbook , many documents from www.samba.org and
> > Internet ,
> > I could not be able to access to the FreeBSD Samba server from Windows
> XP :
> >
> > Continuously I have received "Access denied" error message in Windows XP
> > although in the server the related directory and files have mode
> > rwx-rwx-rwx .
> >
> > The same message is produced even for Linux Samba Server .
> >
> > The examples given in the documents are partial statements without
> actually
> > used
> > files / statements in such a setting , and sometimes inconsistent or
> > contradictory
> > with each other because they are mostly written manually .
> >

> > If a working , applicable set of files / statements are supplied , it
> will
> > be appreciated very much .
> >
> > After a successful implementation , I will send an e-mail about this set
> up
> > as an example for
> > the FreeBSD Handbook to share our information with other people in need .
>
> All I can tell you is that it is definitely possible using FreeBSD.
> The FreeNAS folks do exactly that as does the company I work for.
>
> I do not have the time to spend helping you get it going and I note
> that you do not tell us which version of Samba you are using, but it
> does work.
>
> Have you tried setting the permissions correctly on the directory you
> are sharing? Do you know if it is getting Access Denied trying to
> access the Share or trying to create a file.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Sharpe
> (何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)

Samba Version : FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 package .

There is no fault in FreeBSD because from a Linux computer , it is possible
to access the Samba service .

I tried FreeNAS , but installation did not work ( It was my first install ,
therefore , it is very likely that I made some mistakes ) .

Windows is not able to see directory contents of Samba server . When
directory is not visible , it is not possible to write into it .

Perhaps in the Windows XP , some settings may be wrong or missing . For
that reason , I wanted to have a COMPLETE settings applied , working
example.

There are the following pages :

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html
Using Samba, 2nd Edition

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch02.html
Chapter 2. Installing Samba on a Unix System

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch03.html
Chapter 3. Configuring Windows Clients

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch05.html
Chapter 5. Unix Clients

Some Linux distributions have very well designed graphical Samba
configuration applications .

No one of them is working in the Windows side .

My opinion is that , Samba installation is correct , but Windows side has
problem which
I do not know how to isolate it and to correct it .

Only a working complete set up may be useful , because all of the examples
are partial
explanatory demonstrations .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk