FreeBSD as Samba Server and Windows as Client

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 19:34:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All ,
>
> I could be able to connect a FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 computer as client to a
> Windows XP ( 32 bits ) by
> using information supplied by the mail
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-April/250500.html
>
> and I sent a mail
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2013-April/021857.html
>
> to share my findings .
>

> Previously , I tried to make a FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 as Samba server and
> connect a Windows XP as a client computer .
>
> By using The FreeBSD Handbook , many documents from www.samba.org and
> Internet ,
> I could not be able to access to the FreeBSD Samba server from Windows XP :
>
> Continuously I have received "Access denied" error message in Windows XP
> although in the server the related directory and files have mode
> rwx-rwx-rwx .
>
> The same message is produced even for Linux Samba Server .
>
> The examples given in the documents are partial statements without actually
> used
> files / statements in such a setting , and sometimes inconsistent or
> contradictory
> with each other because they are mostly written manually .
>

> If a working , applicable set of files / statements are supplied , it will
> be appreciated very much .
>
> After a successful implementation , I will send an e-mail about this set up
> as an example for
> the FreeBSD Handbook to share our information with other people in need .

All I can tell you is that it is definitely possible using FreeBSD.
The FreeNAS folks do exactly that as does the company I work for.

I do not have the time to spend helping you get it going and I note
that you do not tell us which version of Samba you are using, but it
does work.

Have you tried setting the permissions correctly on the directory you
are sharing? Do you know if it is getting Access Denied trying to
access the Share or trying to create a file.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe