Youtube & Flash Videos broken?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Apr 7 11:07:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-04-07 at 06:21 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 23:57:47 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf articulated:

> > > Firefox 20.0 Arch Linux x86_64 can't play this video too. Neither
> > > flash, nor gnash installed. Perhaps it's a video with a commercial,
> > > before the video can be watched? Wicked!

> > > Video and audio are ok for this video, still without flash or gnash.
> >
> > Perhaps we should switch to Windows :D. SICR
>
> I have pretty much given up on using Firefox with FreeBSD on sites that
> utilize Flash. It usually just sucks. Sites like "comedy Central" are
> just not view-able utilizing that combination. I use my Windows PC or
> Laptop for those times. Plus, I can keep Flash and or Java "up-to-date"
> far easier.

I never needed to use Windows, I could switch from the Atari ST to *nix
around ten years ago, but since around 1½ years I need to run Windows in
VBox. I planed to start making music on Friday, now it's Sunday noon and
I still couldn't start, because I still need to fix issues. However, I
experienced less issues with *nix software, usually I run into issues
regarding to hardware. Fortunately I don't care about the flash issue,
if tube videos don't work, I don't watch tube videos and if flash should
be needed for something else on a homepage, it for sure isn't a homepage
I want to visit. Usually web pages for *nix are programmed like
http://www.freebsd.org/
and very seldom like
http://linux-audio.com/
but even this site doesn't expect flash. Serious homepages, e.g. from
departments, usually are good programmed and commercial homepages, e.g.
from the porn industry, are usually bad programmed.

If users would stop visiting bad programmed sites, we would get better
programmed websites, so IMO we shouldn't fix the issues others cause,
it's their task to fix their websites.

2 Cents,
Ralf