cksum entire dir??

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Sep 13 23:42:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:46:25 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> [...]
> 	files in sept, 1988, but here it is.  if I had only gr -r -w cpio
> 	around in all my directories, I would have found this, sent to one Dirm
> 	Myers across the pond ::
>

> 	===
>
> From kline Sat Sep  5 11:52:20 1998
> Subject: lost mail file...
> To: dirkm at buster.dhis.eu.org (Dirk Myers)
> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
>

>   Yesterday morning I began composing the next two Q's and A's
>   in my mailer.  Last night in the wee hours there was a power
>   glitch and I lost the mail.
>
>   Enclosed is the first//next Q/A.  I'll send along another one
>   or two later today.  One that I was playing around with *failed*
>   and I'm trying to figure out why.
>
>   -----
>
>   How can I uise my FBSD floppy drive to copy files to it (in this case,
>   at work), and retrieve the files on my FBSD systtem at home.  So far
>   I've only seen examples that used floppies with a filesystem on them.
>   Is there a simplr, more direct way?
>
>   You can treat the 'raw' floppy device as if it is a tape drive, and
>   use typically UNIX tape tools to read/write, such as tar and  cpio.
>   For instance, to copy the current directory onto a floppy to
>   take home at night:
>
>         (put the floppy in the drive, and cd to the directory where
>          the files are; then )
>
>         % tar -cvf /dev/rfd0 .
>
>   To read it when you get home:
>
>         (put the floppy in the drive at home; and extract the tarball
>          wherever you want the files)
>
>         % tar -xvf /dev/rfd0
>
>   The flags -c and -x indicate create and extract mode, the ``v''
>   specifies verbose mode, and the ``f'' tells tar that the following
>   argument is the file or device that tar acts upon.  Here, it is
>   the floppy devide.
>

>   With cpio:
>
>         (chdir to the directory where the files are)
>
>         % ls | cpio -oc > /dev/rfd0
>
>        To read a cpio archive from a tape drive:
>
>        % cpio -icd < /dev/rfd0
>

>        The flags -i and -o indicate copy-in or extract mode and
>        copy-out or create archive mode.   The ``c'' tells cpio
>        to use the old, portablr ASCII archive format.  And the
>        ``d'' flag tells cpio to create directories where necessary.
>
>        Do a
>
>        % man cpio
>
>        for much greater detail on this utility.
>
>   -----
>
>   There are another one or two of the simpler Q/A's and one or two
>   more involved.
>
>   Then, for this month only, I want to write a paragraph or two
>   about who I am and where I'm coming from.  Since you are sharing
>   the by-line you might want to consider this too.
>
>   gary
>
>   PS:   Next month we get a break!!
>
> --
>    Gary D. Kline         kline at tao.thought.org          Public service uNix
>
> 	====
> 	as you can see, this dealt with my olden tape drive.  a 250meg

Really? I think /dev/rfd0 refers to fd - floppy disk. Even
though I know there are floppy-controller connected tape
drives (still have one myself!), the examples shown seem
to indicate work with a floppy disk, used in a "non-fs'ed"
manner, just as I did in the past with "tar, the most
universal file system that isn't even a filesystem" to
transfer files across different UNIX / BSD / Linux boxes
via floppy (because they've not been networked). Still the
examples look fully valid when applied to a tape drive, as
both floppy and tape can be (ab)used as "linear fs-less
media". :-)

>  but this was about the earliest reference
> 	I could find re my use of cpio.  there are others in my journal
> 	dir that reference my running out of hard drive and using cpio rather
> 	that a straight cp -rp.

I've been using cpio as a means of backup in combination
with a "chain" of 650 MB CD-R's.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany