cksum entire dir??

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Sep 12 00:26:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 01:14:43AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:38:04 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to checksum directories as I move them around.
> > ive read the man page for sum and cksum ... or maybe skimmed
> > them.  no joy.  anybody know of a utility to do this?  I've
> > got files that are decades old...
>
> Maybe it's possible to tar the directory (without
> compression of course) and obtain a checksum of
> the tar archive?
>
> 	% tar cf - <director> | cksum
>
> But I also tried cksum directly with a directory
> like
>
> 	% cksum <directory>
>
> and could obtain a checksum - so it _seems_ to work.
> After alteration of one file within the hierarchy a
> different result was printed.
>
> Tested on OS version 8.2-STABLE/i386, one year old.

	I think I tried something like your second example last night.
	I think I did

	% cksum foodir/*

	and had to compare each file from another file I was copying from.
	it was tiresome to check each of dozens of files tho. I was here at
	desk for something obscene -- over 12 hrs. getting my new [slightly
	used:)] computer back to normal.

	if there isn't anything that can compare entire dirs, it looks like
	it's time to hack a small program.  tx, polyt.

	gary