cksum entire dir??

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Sep 11 23:14:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:38:04 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> I'm trying to checksum directories as I move them around.
> ive read the man page for sum and cksum ... or maybe skimmed
> them.  no joy.  anybody know of a utility to do this?  I've
> got files that are decades old...

Maybe it's possible to tar the directory (without
compression of course) and obtain a checksum of
the tar archive?

	% tar cf - <director> | cksum

But I also tried cksum directly with a directory
like

	% cksum <directory>

and could obtain a checksum - so it _seems_ to work.
After alteration of one file within the hierarchy a
different result was printed.

Tested on OS version 8.2-STABLE/i386, one year old.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany