Re: FreeBSD update

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at lajt.hu
Tue Oct 9 09:48:17 UTC 2012

2012. október 8. 17:35 napon Andreas Rudisch <"cyb."@gmx.net> írta:

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 16:52:24 +0200
> Istvan Gabor <suseuser04 at lajt.hu> wrote:
>
> > As I remember correctly during the fetch I saw a message that the current patch level is p4.
> > After rebooting the computer uname gives p3 on the updated system:
> >
> > Why does uname reports p3 while freebsd-update indicates p4 state?
>
> Hi,
>
> if freebsd-update does not update the kernel uname will not show the
> 'correct' patch level.
>
> Andreas

Thanks Andreas.

FreeBSD Handbook (at the end of section 25.2.2) says:

"However, freebsd-update will always update the /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh file.
The current patch level (as indicated by the -p number reported by uname -r) is obtained
from this file. Rebuilding your custom kernel, even if nothing else changed, will allow
uname(1) to accurately report the current patch level of the system."

From this I conclude that if I rebuild the kernel (the general kernel, not a custom kernel),
it should reflect patch level correctly.
This raises another question: are the updates made sequentially, as p1, p2, etc.?
This would explain why the kernel stayed at p3 level while the system was updated to
p4. I Suppose if the update was done in one step after fetching and applying all
update patches the kernel should reflect the system's patch level. Is this correct?
I am confused a little bit.

Istvan