CARP within VirtualBox Does it work?

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Thu Nov 29 18:11:03 UTC 2012

I was trying to setup a test of CARP on two virtual machines running in
VirtualBox 4.2.4r81684 I am not sure if I have something wrong with my
CARP configuration or if VirtualBox just doesn't work right with it.  I
can only ping the CARP interface IP address from the machine listed as
MASTER, if I do an ifconfig carp0 down on the MASTER the other machine
correctly switches form BACKUP to MASTER and then I can ping the
interface from it but not from the Original system.

The VirtualBox systems are both using bridged networking, and the host
cannot ping the carp0 IP address but can ping the interface IP address.

Before I go through more trouble shooting, does anyone know if CARP
doesn't work with VirtualBox?

carp configuration
Machine1:
ifconfig_em0="UP"
ifconfig_em0_name="LAN"
ipv4_addrs_LAN="10.20.190.201/16"
defaultrouter="10.20.111.2"
cloned_interfaces="carp0"
ifconfig_carp0="vhid 1 advskew 100 pass ReduntantCarpTest
10.20.190.203/16

ifconfig carp0:
carp0 flags=49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> metric 0 mtu 1500
inet 10.20.190.203 netmask 0xffff0000
nd6 options=29<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
carp: MASTER vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 100

Machine2:
ifconfig_em0="UP"
ifconfig_em0_name="LAN"
ipv4_addrs_LAN="10.20.190.202/16"
defaultrouter="10.20.111.2"
cloned_interfaces="carp0"
ifconfig_carp0="vhid 1 pass ReduntantCarpTest 10.20.190.203/16

ifconfig carp0:
carp0 flags=49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> metric 0 mtu 1500
inet 10.20.190.203 netmask 0xffff0000
nd6 options=29<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
carp: BACKUP vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 0

FreeBSD version is 9.1RC3 on both test machines.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer