Is FreeBSD 9 Production Ready?

Lucas B. Cohen lbc at bnrlabs.com
Sat Nov 24 17:19:09 UTC 2012

On 2012.11.24 17:38, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I am contemplating moving to the FBSD 9 family.  Is this branch ready
> for production or should I wait a while yet?
This probably won't help much, but I wouldn't call any system
"production ready" until I've tested it as thoroughly as possible and
qualified it myself for the purpose I intend to use it. I wouldn't
blindly trust and drop an operating system on production servers, no
matter how good the feedback from outside my organization sounds.

As far as FreeBSD release engineering goes, I believe all -RELEASE
versions are aimed at maximum stability. But obviously no person or
organization can ever test all possible hardware, software and settings
combinations.