virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 21:39:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

>>> Failed to open the x11 display
>>>
>>> VBoxHeadless -startvm  "vm name" assumes that there a vb guest
>>> all ready configured which is not my case.
>>>

>> Right! I assumed you already had the VM ready. Sorry.
>>

>>  There is no man page for VBoxHeadless command.
>>>

>> There are those:
>>
>> http://download.virtualbox.**org/virtualbox/UserManual.pdf<http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/UserManual.pdf>
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/**manual/ <http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/>
>>
>> VBoxHeadless is covered on both.
>>
>>  How do a configure a vb guest from the host command line?
>>>

>> VBoxManage can do all that from command line. Check it out or follow my
>> previous e-mail.
>>

> I read the UserManual and think I am barking up the wrong tree.
> So lets start over again with what the wanted desired result is.
> I have 9.0 installed on my 200gb hard drive, it's configured to use the
> first 100gb leaving the second 100gb free. I was going to install XP in
> the second half and have a duel boot config. Then I find out XP has to
> be install first on the HD meaning I have to install 9.0 from scratch
> again. I read a post on this list where it was suggested to run
> Virtualbox on my 9.0 host and then run XP as a guest. I want to boot the
> 9.0 host and login to the 9.0 host, start the Virtualbox XP guest and
> enter the XP guest [IE: be in the XP OS windows environment], can I do
> all that from the host command line? I do not run x11 or any desktop on
> my 9.0 host. I do not want to use an second PC to login to the VB XP
> guest over ssh.

I think I am misunderstanding your ask, so I will describe what I have
which sounds awfully similar.

I have a headless 9.0 box with plenty of CPU cycles and HDD/RAM to spare.
 I have installed virtualbox on it, as well as phpVirtualBox (might have
the wrong name there).

Using phpVirtualBox, I can start/stop/config virtual machines on the host.
 So I used my Win7 box to create a virtual Win7 (or in your case WinXP) and
got it all installed and setup using my laptop.  Once it was configured, I
copied the virtual hard drive to the fileserver, configured a new virtual
machine to use that hard drive and set the network to bridged.  After
starting the virtual machine on my FreeBSD box I was able to remote to the
virtual machine using terminal services (built into windows).

The installation of virtualbox on my fileserver did install x11 components,
but by using phpVirtualBox, it is all started headless.

Hope this helps.