kde4 on 8.3 and laptop

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Wed May 30 05:28:27 UTC 2012

On 05/29/12 22:15, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I had kde3 running just fine on 8.2 on my laptop.
>
> I have now installed 8.3 -and- kde4 on my laptop, and the kde system
> will not work as expected.
>
> when I type kdm (which is at /usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm)
> I get the expected login screen (however the mouse dies), and after I login,
> all I get is a small cli window in the top left corner. The mouse has gone
> dead, and the keyboard doesn't respond, altho there is a prompt in the cli
> window.
>
> All I can do at this point is hold the power button in to reboot.
> If I do not try running "kdm", the normal cli works 100%, the ethernet works,
> and the mouse always seems alive (altho in the cli the mouse is of no value).
>
> Suggestions would be very appreciated.

I don't know about the mouse dieing.  I'm running 9.0 and I've seen that once or twice when first setting up X.  You don't need to reboot.  Do <alt><Fn> to switch to a different vty.  Log in on that vty, do a ps to find the process you used to start kdm, (ps -ax | grep kdm) and kill -TERM that process.  That should get you back to a regular prompt on the original vty.  Do <alt><F1> to go back to that screen.

Gary