portsnap update won't update original /usr/ports

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Wed May 23 01:08:45 UTC 2012

On 23/05/2012 08:32, Gary Aitken wrote:
> According to the handbook, one can do portsnap fetch portsnap update
> and the update will work with a previously created ports tree; I
> presume this includes one created during system install.
>
> However, when I attempted this, portsnap complained: /usr/ports was
> not created by portsnap. You must run 'portsnap extract' before
> running 'portsnap update'.
>
> Is there a way to use portsnap against this tree, or must I delete
> the existing /usr/ports and do an extract first?

'portsnap extract' will write over whatever is in /usr/ports so you
don't have to delete what is there. Any distfiles or packages will
remain intact.

You need to start with 'portsnap extract' so that portsnap gets a
reference point to use for updates - which only adds changes since last
update