Off topic: NetBSD or OpenBSD for Alpha server ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 5 18:25:41 UTC 2012

On Sat, 05 May 2012 19:20:10 +0200, Kenneth Hatteland wrote:
> The idea of installing FreeBSD 6.4 and experiment with upgrading to7.x
> and above appeals to quite a lot. If anyone have tried this I`d like to
> know if it is doable. I guess I`ll pick up the server one of the coming
> days.

It should be useful to pay attention to all security considerations,
and of course to features that the _software_ you want to run might
require from the OS.

> The tip on using OpenVMS is okay, I googled it. But this seems to be a
> commercial OS, and I have no money to spend on it, and I get the server
> for free to play with. So BSD will be fine.

OpenVMS offers, if I remember correctly, "hobbyist licensing"
which is less expensive than the commercial licensing.

Additionally, I've heared of FreeVMS, but I'm not sure if it's
still in development and will run on your hardware. It's supposed
to be a free (of costs) VMS-compatible operating system, if I
remember correctly.

> I`ll try FreeBSD first, and OpenBSD next I think if the experience of
> FreeBSD 6.4 and above is not totally pleasant...

Try installing the OS, then continue with finding out what
specific software (from ports or packages) you'll need. Update
the system if needed, or if you're okay with a "not so current"
system, just leave the software as-is, if it fits your needs.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany