9.0 spontaneously reboots

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:10:39 UTC 2012

Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Adam Vande More wrote:
> >> I have one machine behaving unstable. This happened before 9.0. After
> >> upgrading to 9.0 machine was given a light load and now it reboots. Memory
> >> was already tested (without any errors) and changed after another reboot.
> >>

> > So your RAM is good enough to pass a memory test.  It doesn't mean it's not
> > the culprit.  Way too many false negatives from those things.
>
> True. First server was stacked with Kingston memory, and now I moved to
> Hynix. And is still gives me sometimes ECC errors.

You mentioned that "it survives an hour in memtest".

Update BIOS - the BIOS in some computers allow counting of detected and
corrected memory errors, in part to help identify failing memory modules before
the problem becomes catastrophic.

Some BIOS have internal memory check tool. Try it.

Some refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory

jb