Terminal (TERM=xterm) on FreeBSD doesn not accept DEL or ALT key on/in a Linux YAST2 session

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 12 14:31:05 UTC 2012

On 03/12/12 15:21, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:51:55PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Administering Linux Suse boxes makes it opf need to login onto those
>> boxes and use the well designed kiddy-cloaking scripting environment,
>> called YAST/YAST2.
>>
>> The problem I face now is that I can not use DEL key to delete
>> characters or even use the ALT key to enforce actions like ALT-e or
>> ALT-d for enabling/disabling.
>>
>> I tried to set environment variable "TERM = xterm" to  "TERM = cons25"
>> since I thought this could be a problem with the terminal. But it
>> wans't. Either the outdated X on FBSD causes problems or there is
>> another issue. I desperately need some help ...
>
> Simple questions first just to be sure:
>
> You set TERM with the command "export TERM=xterm", correct? No extra spaces?

Of course, it is either setenv TERM xterm in csh or TERM=xterm in
bourne-alike shells.

In my FreeBSD driven environment everything is fine and shiny, but when
login into a Suse 12.1 box and doing a YAST2, DEL key does not work
(produce nothing) and ALT-plus-key doesn't work either. But in several
cases, I need to edit lines and confirm those changes with key shortcuts
like ALT-e, for instance for "enable" is much appreciated than hopping
around with the TAB key.

> And you are using xterm (not rxvt)?

No, pure and plain and conservative xterm as it comes with the port and
no extravagant terminal thingy.

> What happens when you use the DEL key?

Except in YAST/YAST2, it works as expected ...

> I'm not familiar with YAST. Are you having problems at a normal shell
> command line, or are you having problems in something run from a shell?

I'm also not familiar with YAST (I start hating this crap), but I need
it since I have not the scientific support on FreeBSD platforms I need
as I have on Linux (we run TESLA driven boxes acting as supercomputers.
Try it, "es ist, als würden Engel schieben ...").

Regards,
Oliver