Making Music / Video folders on FreeBSD visible on HD TV

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:39:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:26:43 +0000
Arthur Chance articulated:

> On 03/13/12 19:54, Carmel wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:59:45 -0500
> > Adam Vande More articulated:
> >
> >> Are you sure these devices aren't trying to connect to a DLNA
> >> server?  Such need can be met by net/mediatomb or other port.
> >
> > A couple of people have replied to this thread. The Samba shares are
> > configured correctly and are visible on my Windows based PCs. I
> > have no idea if the TVs are using DLNA. I never had to configure
> > anything, other than sharing the folders, on my Microsoft PCs, so
> > am I to assume that DLNA is always available on that OS? Anyway, I
> > will try your suggestion.
>
> I have a Sony networked TV, and it definitely needs a DLNA server and
> is very picky about what formats are served. I'm not a Windows user
> but I have the impression Home or Home Premium versions of Vista/Win7
> have DLNA support built in.
>
> Alexander Leidinger has written a couple of blog posts on getting
> Sony TVs working with FBSD. Take a look at this and the related posts:
>
> http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/09/15/sony-bravia-tv-dlna-formats/

I did some checking. Win7, all versions, have support built into it.
Apparently Vista and WinXP were updated with support via the Microsoft
Update system. I have to admit, that does make for a very "user
friendly" environment. Obviously Microsoft anticipated user needs quite
successfully. I have several friends who have integrated their TVs with
their home PC quite successfully and painlessly.

I am still studying how to make FreeBSD similarly "user friendly".
Thanks for the link.

--
Carmel
carmel_ny at hotmail.com