Still having trouble with package upgrades

freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org
Wed Mar 7 21:10:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:20:19PM -0500, David Jackson wrote:
> I think that your statement here is fundamentally flawed and wrong, because
> you have assumed that it is impossible for the OS to be able to be user
> friendly and geek friendly at the same time. This is wrong. In fact, I have
> outlined ways repeatedly that FreeBSD could provide an easy to use package
> system without compromising on the flexibility of ports in any way. The
> idea that the OS has to be either difficult to use or it has to be easy to
> use for novices is wrong.  The OS can be both and I have written about ways
> that can be done, in fact, I can show how it can be done in every area. For
> instance, with better binary packages, those are simply built from ports
> using the best set of options. Those who want to compile for themselves
> will still be able to do so, just fine.
>
> So you have presented a position here that is simply not true. FreeBSD can
> be more user friendly and as the same time be flexible and friendly to
> experts such as yourself.
>
> its not an either or choice.

It can be, if there aren't resources available to devote to both.

You've brought this up multiple times. No one is interested in
actually doing it. Maybe you should do it yourself and provide the
person-power and hardware to get it done right. If it works, I suspect
that the FreeBSD devs would accept it and make you an official
contributor.

Otherwise, as has been noted several times, you are not FreeBSD's
target audience.