backup tools

Jorge Luis Gonzalez list+freebsd at jorge.cc
Sat Jun 23 13:46:06 UTC 2012

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> what exactly deficiences and requirements not met by rsync are you talking
> about?

Perhaps "deficiencies" was too strong a word.  I think the OP required--or
perhaps desired--a WOL function.  I'm not aware of any such capability in rsync
proper.  I meant, too, that dirvish, which was the alternative that I
recommended, presents an elegant and easily-comprehended way to manage rsync's
considerable abilities, not that it provides features that can't be managed
directly by rsync.

> >By "heterogeneous networks" I'm afraid I mean ones composed of machines
> >running
> >unix-like OSs; I've no idea if there's an rsync port to Windows.

> there are many. I know people using it ... after they know how useful it
> is based on my examples. No idea how stable and usable they are.

Thanks for pointing out that there are Windows ports of rsync, and that you
provide examples of their use.  I'm not sure I would entrust my system backups
to them if they come with the disclaimer that you've "no idea how stable and
usable they are."

	Jorge

--
Jorge Luis González <list+freebsd at jorge.cc>
http://www.jorge.cc/ * ftp://ftp.jorge.cc/{pub,incoming}
IRC: #vim jl-satyr * XMPP: jl-satyr at jabber.org
GPG KEY -> 0x4AD9C195 * ICBM: 42.592627, -72.588859

This email optimized for teletypes.