Mouse stopped working in X

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jun 9 04:16:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 06:06:49 +0200, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> 2012-05-22 10:44, Polytropon skrev:
> > On Tue, 22 May 2012 10:17:16 +0200, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> >> There is a second way of doing this stunt.
> >>
> >> Start X
> >> When X is up and running press CTRL+ALT+F3 or any F* frpm F3 up to F8
> >> then you get to the console
> >> Su to root in the console and type in
> >>
> >> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus restart&&   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald restart
> >>
> >> Then press ALT+F9 to get back to X
> >
> > So if that is the _solution_
>
> It is not near any solution.
>
> I do not think this issue have anything to do with hal or dbus.

I didn't claim it was a solution, I just wanted to make the
therapy "more elegant"; see the difference between therapy
(treating symptoms) and the actual cure of a disease (removing
the cause).

As I'm only running old-fashioned stuff here, I can't be more
specific regarding the newest inventions of why X stopped acting
as expected. In the past, simply removing HAL and DBUS altogether
and using a xorg.conf file to make the required settings has
worked at least for me.

My idea of automating the manual step of restarting HAL and
DBUS (which _seems_ to have treated the symptoms of a non-working
mouse) was to put that into the X initialisation file: "sudo
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus restart && sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald
restart". Of couse that doesn't even remotely touch a possible
problem caused elsewhere.

And does it look totally stupid? Sure it does. It looks so wrong,
but sometimes the wrongest thing "just works" (TM). :-)

> My machine at the office running the same hal and X as the one at home
> does not have this kind of problems.

That might be a good indicator that there actually is something
different in those machines, and this difference causes the
problem. Maybe it's something simple, and really not related
to HAL. As I said, I'm not sure, as I'm not using it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany