FreeBSD: SOLVED: FreeBSD9 - I can't get my mouse to work (was : FreeBSD9 - I can't get my mouse to work)

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:39:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:59:01 -0400, Jerry wrote:

> Ubuntu,
> Debian, and Fedora, and projects such as KDE, GNOME and X.org are in the
> process of deprecating HAL as it has "become a large monolithic
> unmaintainable mess".

Well, I finally got it working. I'm far from an expert in this area, but
what I think was happening was that the touchpad was grabbing /dev/psm0,
and then X.org tried to allocate the same port for the USB mouse, which
of course failed (even though I had specified a Device of /dev/ums0, and
set AutoAddDevices to Off so as to take hald out of the picture).

The solution for me was to run moused *on port /dev/ums0* and then
specify the device as /dev/sysmouse in xorg.conf.

However, that leads me to another question: my amateurish way to get
moused to run on /dev/ums0 was to hack /etc/rc.d/moused and hard code it.
I don't think that's very good, and I suspect that the "right" way to do
it was to set some variable in /etc/rc.conf.

Can anyone guide me on how that should be done, or point me to a fine
manual?

Thamks to all for the responses.