FreeBSD on SSD

Виталий Туровец corebug at corebug.net
Sat Jul 28 14:43:10 UTC 2012

2012/7/28 Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>:
>> HDD Memory : 750 GB
>> SSD Memory : 8 GB
>>

>> I wish to install FreeBSD on it, but I wanted to ask this beforehand :
>>
>> Would it would be possible to install it on the 8 GB SSD sector ?
>

> no idea how seagate momentus XT work.
> AFAIK it tries to "automatically" move often used things to flash. so
> install normally.
>

>> Would it work, and how would FreeBSD generally handle the SSD share of the
>> memory ?
>>
>> Thank you, V.

I have exactly the same drive in my laptop, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB,
with dualboot FreeBSD/Window$ installed on it using MBR and BSD
slices. The installation of FreeBSD was exactly the same as anywhere
else :) As it was said here, Momentus' Adaptive Memory technology uses
SSD as read cache, that's all. The OS doesn't even guess that these
8GBs of SSD are present somewhere :)

--

~~~
WBR,