fsck on FAT32 filesystem?freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sun Jul 22 20:30:20 UTC 2012

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Sun Jul 22 07:22:29 2012
> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:19:43 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
> To: Thomas Mueller <mueller23 at insightbb.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: fsck on FAT32 filesystem?
>

> > Let us securely erase your personal files and pictures for only $49.99.
> and securely copy everything interesting before.
>
> That's truly funny. Someone DO CARE about his/her data being deleted,
> and... lets someone else in random shop to do this.

And exactly what alternatives _do_ you see for someone who DOES NOT HAVE
THE SKILLS, TOOLS, OR RESOURCES, to 'do it themselves'?

That's a serious question, not an attack.

If someone wants it done, but doesn't have the knowledge/tools/etc. to
do it themselves, it appears to me that they have precisely two realistic
alternatives:
   1) Trust "somebody" to do it, and do it right,
or
   2) simpl DON'T do it.

Putting together what is required to "do it yourself" _is_ out of the
question for _most_ Windows users.   They don't know _what_ they need to
know/learn/have to do the task. Heck they don't know how to find out *what*
they need to find out, to learn what is needed to do the task.

Yes, in theory, they _could_ learn everything they need to know to do it
themselves, but the list of things that a 'know nothing' Windows user has
to dig out, understand, and _use_, is incredibly long and daunting.