fsck on FAT32 filesystem?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Thu Jul 19 02:51:46 UTC 2012

> Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:58:22 +0200
> From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com>
> Subject: Re: fsck on FAT32 filesystem?
>
> Hi Robert, cc questions@ cc postmaster@ (***)
>
> > What I am is an information systems professional with 45 years
> > experience.
>
> Interesting reading that & your prior post.
>  'Edge of the track, & turn up the op. amps'
>   has been an interesting technique for decades, I first read of it maybe
>   70's or 80's ?  I bet some, eg in government or private espionage, &
>   desperate incompetent bankers, & their employed service firms, probably
>   had fun seeing what was possible. (Envy ;-)

All I'm going to say is:
  1) There's a _reason_ the gov't requires hard drives with anthing higher
     than 'somewhat' classified data on them to be =physically= destroyed
     before leving the secure area.
  2) As of 2007, 'over-writing' data (regardless of how many times) is *not*
     sufficient, any more, for _any_ military purposes.