FreeBSD vs Hurd what is the differences?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Jul 4 15:49:21 UTC 2012

Hi,
Reference:

IamTrying wrote:
> http://pastehtml.com/view/c3kw80dyq.html - Does anyone know if FreeBSD core
> developers left FreeBSD to work in Google? What will be the future of
> FreeBSD and Google?
>
> FreeBSD vs Hurd what is the differences? Is this Hurd now made for Google by
> FreeBSD?

Additional to all the useful things Matthew wrote, I'd add:

"IamTrying" could/should have read such Basic stuff on many webs/
search engines, inc Wikipedia. no need to ask here: More efficient
for community if "IamTrying" read there.  Less writing work, per
more readers, & more carefully researched & cross checked & linked
facts etc.

My memory:
  Hurd for many years was GNU/FSF's dream / vapourware OS, a few bits
  but not a complete OS (kernel, compiler, cd /usr/src ; make world
  ) most of us ignored it & got on with BSD lcensed BSD code.  Later
  Linux arrived, maybe a decade later Hurd finaly arrived as an OS
  no longer bits; most of us in BSD continued to ignore it.  It's
  FSF, we in BSD prefer BSD licenced stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
	"GNU General Public License"

Minix3 exists too. Yup Minix isn't dead
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minix3

Mach exists or use to, various  OSs if you're browsing:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system
Includes ref. to google chrome.
Have fun reading :-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".