Swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Sat Jan 28 12:51:34 UTC 2012

from Kévin Hagner <jsaipakoimetr at spyzone.fr>:

> > I'm running on a FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE, the file system used is UFS, I've 2Gb RAM and no "native" swap partition.

> Oh.  You should never configure a Unix system without at least some swap space available, and configuring at least as much swap as you have RAM (plus a little
> +bit more) is the minimum recommendation.

> Regards,

> -Chuck

Does that mean the amount of swap space needed increases with amount of RAM?

Is that for the purpose of accommodating possible core dump?  This is difficult to achieve with a system that has generous RAM, when installing to a USB stick.

I suppose one could use swap space on a hard drive in that case.

Tom