what are the top python books?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jan 27 01:19:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:00:50AM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:00:50 +0100
> From: Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: what are the top python books?
> To: Gary Kline <kline at thought.org>
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 07:39:40PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > guys,
> >
> > sorry if this is a re-request and a bit OT, buuuuut, it's seriously
> > time i got myself in gear and bought or borrowed a book or CD // DVD
> > that teaches python.  i honestly do prefer ink+paper, but with one
> > hand MIA, i need paperweights!  so if there are books that can be
> > popped into the cd/dvd drawer, that would be  better.
> >
> > i tried to follow some seriously complex python that might not have
> > worked on BSD.  I want something that's good enough to clue me in
> > on how to do that.
>
> "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz is pretty complete and in-depth
> introduction. But at 1100-odd pages it is quite a hefty tome, though. The
> followup book "Programming Python" by the same author covers various aspects
> like network programming, GUI programming et cetera.
>
> The online documentation is excellent _for the standard library_ and the
> _tutorial_.
>
> Also online you can find "Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer
> Scientist", which is a nice introduction

	intro is about my speed right now.  there was a series on
	youtube but the guy never got out of the python frame... .
	at least i learned some basics.

	i just checked the user-side key click.  i did NOT write
	this; its author is one scott kirkwood [q.v., if you want].
	there are still one or two bugs.  if/when i can get the
	sound line plugged into my speakers, i'll port scott's work
	for the berkeley distros.  AFAICT, he didn't stick any
	linuxisms in there.

	cheers,

	gary

> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.57a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org
             Twenty-five years of service to the Unix community.