what are the top python books?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jan 27 01:05:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:39:57PM -0700, Modulok wrote:
> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:39:57 -0700
> From: Modulok <modulok at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: what are the top python books?
> To: Gary Kline <kline at thought.org>
>
> > sorry if this is a re-request and a bit OT, buuuuut, it's seriously
> > time i got myself in gear and bought or borrowed a book or CD // DVD
> > that teaches python.
>
> If you want to learn python, first subscribe to the python tutor
> mailing list. It's pretty much just like the FreeBSD list. In fact, I
> think it uses the same exact software to run it and is configured on
> about the same schedule. (List reminders come the same day.)
>
> tutor at python.org

	i will do that, tx for the tip.

> Next, the best book I've ever read on python was "Python Essential
> Reference" by "David M. Beazley". It's a very dry book but he covers
> just about everything in the most concise way possible.

	prett sure this is one of the books at the library.

> For a more basic introduction to the subject I would look at
> www.diveintopython.net (The guy gives away his entire book online -
> And it's pretty good! He's also a frequenter of the python tutor
> list.) Once you get into the flow of things, look at
> www.pythonchallenge.com it makes you use the language to solve
> problems in an interesting way. Then, once you have mad skills check
> out http://projecteuler.net/

	i just heard back from the king county library; it looks
	like they have scanned a bunch of books that i can read
	online [!]  ...in other words, the stuff is there; the work
	of climbing the learning curve is up to *me*.

	gary

> Good luck!
> -Modulok-

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.57a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org
             Twenty-five years of service to the Unix community.