kgzip(8) regression in RELENG_9 GENERIC

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Mon Jan 23 15:15:50 UTC 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 12:56 AM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:

> On 01/23/2012 12:30 AM, Devin Teske wrote:

>>> Curious, it doesn't even look like that binary is hooked into the build
>>> process at all on 9.0-RELEASE.
>>>

>> Can you clarify what you mean by the above?
>
> On a brand new GENERIC box running 9.0-RELEASE with no special knobs:
>
> ----8<----
> (4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga ~]$ which kgzip

On my box:

push900# uname -a
FreeBSD push900.vicor.com 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:15:25 UTC 2012     root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

push900# which kgzip
/usr/sbin/kgzip

> (4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga ~]$ apropos kgzip

push900# whereis kgzip
kgzip: /usr/sbin/kgzip /usr/share/man/man8/kgzip.8.gz /usr/src/usr.sbin/kgzip

> (4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga ~]$ cd /usr/src/usr.sbin
> (4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga /usr/src/usr.sbin]$ ls | grep kgzip
> kgzip
> (4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga /usr/src/usr.sbin]$ grep kgzip Makefile
> (4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga /usr/src/usr.sbin]$
> ----8<----

push900# grep kgzip Makefile
# $FreeBSD: release/9.0.0/usr.sbin/kgzip/Makefile 116221 2003-06-11 21:36:06Z obrien $
PROG=	kgzip
MAN=	kgzip.8
SRCS=	kgzip.c aouthdr.c elfhdr.c kgzcmp.c kgzld.c xio.c

> So it's there,

Yes, there it is. How is it that my GENERIC 9.0-RELEASE build has it, source included, manual included, Makefile included, binary included,... but yours does not?

> but the SUBDIR entry in the usr.sbin Makefile that hooks
> it into the build process seems to be missing, whereas things that do
> exist (freebsd-update, &c) are present.
>
>>> It's manpage indicates that it is unsuitable for loader(8) use,
>>
>> Likewise, can you clarify the above?
>
>> From kgzip.8 in the aforementioned directory:
>
> ----8<----
> BUGS
> As symbols are lost, the usefulness of this utility for compressing ker-
> nels is limited to situations where loader(8) cannot be used; otherwise
> the preferred method of compressing a kernel is simply to gzip(1) it.
> ----8<----

That's an odd sort of message. I've been using kgzip(1) since the days of RELENG_4 ... with loader(8) mind you, and have never had a problem until now with RELENG_9.

>>> and that
>>> just running gzip(1) on the kernel file is sufficient;
>>
>> I'm getting an error when loading a gzip(1)'d kernel...
>>
>> 	don't know how to load module '/kernels/GENERIC-i386-9.0.gz'
>>
>> So I figure, maybe it doesn't like the '.gz' suffix. No go, same error.
>
> I think we'll need more information on how your system is set up to
> boot:

First, it's not my system, it's my installer.

I'm taking on the task of creating a dual-installer (pictures linked-to below):

http://www.twitpic.com/89l2ub/full
http://www.twitpic.com/89l4n6/full

I usually use kgzip'd kernels on my installer. It's always worked in the past (period).

The reason for doing so is that it takes a 14MB GENERIC kernel and reduces it to 4.6MB (pretty obvious incentive there).

> partition layout,

None to speak of. All I'm really doing to replicate the BTX halt is loading up an ISO with the following contents:

1. loader(8) from unmodified RELENG_9
2. kgzip(1)'d kernel -- again, unmodified RELENG_9 (GENERIC)
3. load kernel with FICL ``load''
4. boot
5. BTX halted immediately

> what boot blocks and loaders are in use, etc.

All from 9.0-RELEASE

> How are you instructing it to load that particular kernel, for example?

Here's the FICL syntax used which replicates the BTX halt:

load /kernels/GENERIC-i386-9.0.kgz
load -t mfs_root /boot/fis_mfsroot9.gz
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"
set vfs.root.mountfrom.options="rw"
boot

This leads to BTX halt. Simply going in and swapping kgzip(1)'d kernel for non-kgzip(1)'d kernel fixes the problem.
--
Devin