kgzip(8) regression in RELENG_9 GENERIC

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Mon Jan 23 08:56:59 UTC 2012

On 01/23/2012 12:30 AM, Devin Teske wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2012, at 1:41 AM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
>
>> On 01/20/2012 09:02 PM, Devin Teske wrote:
>>> Taking a GENERIC 9.0-RELEASE kernel and running kgzip(8) on it produces an
>>> unusable kernel which causes immediate BTX halt in loader(8).

>>> 4. Say: kgzip kernel
>>
>> Curious, it doesn't even look like that binary is hooked into the build
>> process at all on 9.0-RELEASE.
>>

> Can you clarify what you mean by the above?

On a brand new GENERIC box running 9.0-RELEASE with no special knobs:

----8<----
(4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga ~]$ which kgzip
(4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga ~]$ apropos kgzip
(4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga ~]$ cd /usr/src/usr.sbin
(4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga /usr/src/usr.sbin]$ ls | grep kgzip
kgzip
(4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga /usr/src/usr.sbin]$ grep kgzip Makefile
(4b18d544)[cyberleo at jenga /usr/src/usr.sbin]$
----8<----

So it's there, but the SUBDIR entry in the usr.sbin Makefile that hooks
it into the build process seems to be missing, whereas things that do
exist (freebsd-update, &c) are present.

>> It's manpage indicates that it is unsuitable for loader(8) use,
>
> Likewise, can you clarify the above?

>From kgzip.8 in the aforementioned directory:

----8<----
BUGS
As symbols are lost, the usefulness of this utility for compressing ker-
nels is limited to situations where loader(8) cannot be used; otherwise
the preferred method of compressing a kernel is simply to gzip(1) it.
----8<----

>> and that
>> just running gzip(1) on the kernel file is sufficient;
>
> I'm getting an error when loading a gzip(1)'d kernel...
>
> 	don't know how to load module '/kernels/GENERIC-i386-9.0.gz'
>
> So I figure, maybe it doesn't like the '.gz' suffix. No go, same error.

I think we'll need more information on how your system is set up to
boot: partition layout, what boot blocks and loaders are in use, etc.
How are you instructing it to load that particular kernel, for example?

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/