[SOLVED] A quick fix for Firefox mailto: issues

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Fri Jan 20 14:06:47 UTC 2012

I don't know who else has come across this, or who even uses this
particular combination of firefox and thunderbird. I use it for the sake
of my users, so its just easier to be a roman in rome. I have setup
IceWM as the standard though.

In firefox when one clicks on a mailto: link it fails to work (default).
After searching for hours and googling my brains out, changing settings
and what not with zero success, the final answer was ridiculously
simple: Manually set the mail command. Default doesn't work (for
whatever reason- probably due to gnome or the lack of).

To make things all right in the world click (on the menu bar in
firefox): edit->preferences. Click the applications tab on the popup
window, and look for mailto: and select "use other" and pick the mailer
of your choice.

Forget all the about:config settings and the other crap out there- it
simply doesn't work. It probably has to do with the infiltration of
gnome (and linuxisms), but the long and the short of it is it doesn't
work for FreeBSD. This does.

HTH someone in need (probably using google a month from now...) :)