Network throughput

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 14:57:13 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 12:07, Ott Köstner wrote:
> On 11.01.2012 13:24, Mike Woods wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm trying to gather network throughput information on a box of ours
>> > and I'm having a little problem, the throughput is to be measured on a
>> > per-minute basis and i've been trying to use netstat for this (count
>> > now - count before/timeperiod) however netstats byte counter resets
>> > far too quickly to be usefull (this is a busy gb link), i've had a
>> > look at vnstat but this only seems to operation on an hour or higher
>> > and I need to get down to the minute, does anyone have any suggestions
>> > of a tool better suited to this ?

> I have been using net-snmp daemon in combination with mrtg. Displays
> nice traffic graphs.

Yes -- mrtg is nice, but it relies on the snmp interface counters, and
in this case with Gb traffic levels a 32bit counter will wrap in a few
minutes.  mrtg samples the interface counter every 5 minutes IIRC, so
would probably be confused by that wrap-around happening at around the
same frequency.

Unless you switch to using 64bit interface counters, but I don't know if
mrtg can cope with integer types that wide...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3