FreeBSD on kvm

Alessandro Baggi alessandro.baggi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:22:44 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 12:50 PM, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> On 1/6/12 11:43 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> i've a problem running freebsd as a guest on linux+kvm. The only problem
>> is that sometimes, when I boot the system it dies and this happens also
>> if I run the vm with and without -nographic option. Using the qemu GUI I
>> can see the it stops on the boot loader menu after the countdown and the
>> only mode to resume the system is reboot the vm. I've reduced the
>> autoboot delay to 1 without no result.
>>

>> Someone know something about this problem?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
> Hi,
>

> This is exactly how to *not* ask a question.
> Please take the time to read this very informative article:
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
>

> For instance, you've omitted important information such as:
>
> - linux version
> - qemu version
> - freebsd version
> - freebsd error message when "it dies", if any
> - KVM configuration options (disk mode and such)
>

> We've been running FreeBSD 7 then 8 as a guest in Debian linux/KVM for
> over 3 years now for our pre-production environment and are very happy
> with it.
>
> Please post some more details, that we might be able to actually help.

True, I'm sorry, too few informations.

The host system is Slackware64 Linux 13.37
QEMU emulator version 0.14.0 (qemu-kvm-0.14.0), Copyright (c) 2003-2008
Fabrice Bellard
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3

kvm option: /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -pidfile $PIDFILE -cpu host -smp
$NCPU -m $MRAM -k $KB -enable-kvm -drive
file=$IMAGE,media=disk,index=0,cache=writeback -net
nic,model=$NICMODEL,macaddr=$MAC -net
tap,ifname=$TAP,script=no,downscript=no -runas $USER -monitor
unix:$SOCKET,server,nowait -nographic -daemonize

There are not errors. When there is the countdown  it seems to die.For
example it stops to 9 seconds or 6 and stop (die) No boot line, only the
boot loader menu blocked. To avoid this
I want say that freebsd work very well under kvm, the problem is
presented every 2/3 startup of this virtual machine.