Browser

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jan 5 11:29:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 22:18:33 +0000, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 12:56:38 -0500
> illoai at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > If you have a few hours, lots of RAM, & you'd like to stress-
> > test your system:
> > cd /usr/ports/www/chromium && make install
>

> Unless things have changed radically that sounds like a bit of an
> exaggeration. Until about 9 months ago I was building it on a 7 year
> old single core athlon in 1.5GB with the work-directory on tmpfs. It
> was still perfectly usable as a desktop.

Well, last time I tried to compile one of Firefox's
recent versions from ports, it demanded to have
access to X during the "make" stage. That was the
point I decided _not_ to continue (as the system
in question didn't have X). Maybe I did something
wrong, maybe I should have dealt with building
options more carefully. But anyway, you type "make"
and the intended web browser wants to access X?
>From within a UID=0 session? Hmmm...

On the other hand, installing google's Chromium
browser went through without that kind of annoying
trouble.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany