Realtek RTL8191SEvB Linux driver?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Jan 4 21:16:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 08:01:00PM +0000, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 16:21, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >As someone who has actually done laptop technician work, professionally,
>
> You don't by any chance know where there is a service manual for
> OP's laptop in pdf format (or html)? I did a bit of googling but
> didn't find it. It's a Toshiba U505-S2950. Or maybe you could advise
> how to replace the wireless card in this particular machine...

I'm afraid I do not have a service manual, and Toshibas are unfortunately
not among the laptops I have dealt with very much (only a handful, here
and there).  This image seems to suggest that the instruction about
prying off a panel behind the keyboard does not apply to this model:

    http://tinyurl.com/6rgljal

This image, of a similar model (S2930 instead) clearly shows a similar
keyboard facing design with no separable panel to pry off behind the
keyboard:

    http://tinyurl.com/82r9kz4

If I had to make a guess, based on those images, I'd say you probably
have to remove some of the screws from the bottom of the laptop to remove
the keyboard.  Whether the bevel/facing needs to be removed before
removing the keyboard depends on the specific laptop.  There is a
possibility you may just be able to remove a single panel from the bottom
of the laptop to get at the wireless card, though.

This page, however, refers to a "wifi cover" as part of the shell for the
bottom of the laptop:

    http://tinyurl.com/72x9osz

My guess, based on that picture, is that it would be the smaller separate
panel to the right-hand side of the picture:

    http://tinyurl.com/7tql3zg

That may be the "memory cover" mentioned on the page, and the other cover
might be the "wifi cover".  Does that image look at all like your
laptop's underside?