FreeBsd Beginner

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 12:26:53 UTC 2012

On 28/02/2012 05:43, shanib.k.k wrote:
> Hi am a Ruby on rails developer. I have done a project in ROR and
> currently its hosted in Ubuntu.Now the requires it to be changed to
> FreeBSD. As am entirely fresh to FreeBSD i would like to know more about
> how can configure or install it.

The best place to start is by reading the Handbook.  Here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

One thing that may surprise you is that FreeBSD itself is just the OS
kernel, the core libraries and a number of command-line utilities.  If
you want a windowing system, then you'll need to install one from ports.
 Similarly, you'll need to install Ruby and all the other gubbins to
make your RoR applications work, but the ports makes that pretty easy.

Alternatively, you might find PC-BSD easier to get along with.  This is
a fully featured desktop system built around FreeBSD but with all the
usual sort of desktop applications already included.  Get it here:

http://www.pcbsd.org/

As it's FreeBSD underneath, it makes a good system to learn about
FreeBSD before setting up a pure FreeBSD server.

> Am using Windows OS in my personal system.How  can i install FreeBSD in
> my local system and do a try before configuring in main server directly...

You can install FreeBSD as a guest OS in a virtualization system quite
readily.  It works pretty well with most VMs -- VirtualBox is known to
work well, and it's free but whatever you're used to should be fine.

Alternatively you can download a DVD or USB MemStick image, and boot
from that as a live-system without trashing whatever you already have
installed.

If you can free up a disk, or a partition (about 5GB is the absolute
minimum needed for a useful system, but more is better), then you can
install FreeBSD there and make your machine dual boot.

Or you can just blow away whatever is on the machine already and start
from ground-zero with nothing but FreeBSD.  I wouldn't recommend this
unless you are quite well versed in FreeBSD already, as otherwise you'll
find it quite frustrating before you learn the ropes, and your
productivity will nosedive as you do that...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3