How to build 9.0 from source?

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 02:38:11 UTC 2012

On 5 February 2012 09:15, james <james at mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
> I installed 9.0 without sources.
>
> Now I'd like to try building the kernel (or specifically the mfi driver), so
> I've tried to get the sources.
>
> The handbook says (in 9.55) to use sysinstall to get the source
> configuration - but that doesn't seem to work and what its trying to fetch
> seems more like an 8.x source set

As a general rule, avoid sysinstall.  And once you've
successfully installed the system, definitely don't try
to use sysinstall for anything.  It does involve learning
a thousand difference commands, but it's worth it.

The most direct method is as outbackdingo at gmail.com
said: edit up a supfile & run csup(1).

You can also download the relevant src.txz from your
favourite ftp server, & extract it (tar xpf etc etc).

Or even go whole hog & pull it down via svn (this
does take up about double the space, though).