Upgrading FreeBSD 8.3 amd64

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:14:21 UTC 2012

Ralf,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> this isn't a request, just a note about the handbook, from the point of
> view a newbie has got.
>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> "We also assume that you have already obtained the sources to a newer
> system. If the sources available on the particular system are old too,
> see Section 25.6 for detailed help about synchronizing them to a newer
> version."
>
> I know svn from Linux, but I don't know what I should update using
> svn ;). Yes, the ports, but to get knowledge were the ports are, I have
> to google ;). This howto is more confusing for a newbie and seems to
> need more reboots, so I started with
>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>
> but it's not described how to do the following:
> "Note that setting the BATCH environment variable to yes will answer yes
> to any prompts during this process, removing the need for manual
> intervention during the build process."
>
> regarding to google it's "env BATCH=yes", I'll test it next time I'll
> reboot into FreeBSD.
>
> Another issue is, that the portupgrade command isn't found.

Check in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/ directory:

Become super user,
$ su -
passwd:
then as super user:
# cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
then from that directory
# make install clean

and you should have the portugrade command :)

You may also use at your discretion the portmaster tool?  It works
very well and a nice example is given by W. Block:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/portupgrade.html

Best Regards,

Antonio