Upgrading FreeBSD 8.3 amd64

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:04:25 UTC 2012

Hi :)

this isn't a request, just a note about the handbook, from the point of
view a newbie has got.

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

"We also assume that you have already obtained the sources to a newer
system. If the sources available on the particular system are old too,
see Section 25.6 for detailed help about synchronizing them to a newer
version."

I know svn from Linux, but I don't know what I should update using
svn ;). Yes, the ports, but to get knowledge were the ports are, I have
to google ;). This howto is more confusing for a newbie and seems to
need more reboots, so I started with

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

but it's not described how to do the following:
"Note that setting the BATCH environment variable to yes will answer yes
to any prompts during this process, removing the need for manual
intervention during the build process."

regarding to google it's "env BATCH=yes", I'll test it next time I'll
reboot into FreeBSD.

Another issue is, that the portupgrade command isn't found.

However, pppoe does work, but using vi never is fun for me :).

I guess I'll read how to install software, IOW how to install
portupgrade and continue with the portupgrade method ASAP, later today,
or tomorrow.

Regards,
Ralf