make release and mfsroot

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Dec 11 22:44:28 UTC 2012

On Dec 11, 2012, at 2:13 PM, Rick Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske at fisglobal.com> wrote:
>>
>> Though, to resize the mfsroot, I still rely on release(7) and the above
>> patches.
>
> Here's another question, have you applied this approach to
> boot_crunch.conf?  I simply replaced the default boot_crunch.conf with
> my own in the source tree.  This is how I discovered MFSSIZE, because
> the resulting boot_crunch binary was larger than the available space.

I've separated the various additions to mfsroot into two categories:

1. Additions that end up in the boot_crunch binary
2. All other additions

I use the release(7) process to produce a custom mfsroot with finely tuned boot_crunch, then I use the previously-shared Makefile to put more files in (things that are separate from the boot_crunch).

You can read more about my procedure here (complete recipe for customizing any part of the mfsroot, while spending as little time in the release(7) process as possible):

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/dep/freebsd/patches/README?revision=1.2&view=markup

The above is for the 9.x line, for the 8.x line the instructions are *slightly* different:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid83/dep/freebsd/patches/README?revision=1.1&view=markup

You can my customizations to boot_crunch:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/dep/freebsd/patches/local_patches/release%3A%3Ai386%3A%3Aboot_crunch.conf.patch?revision=1.2&view=markup

and again, slightly different for 8.x:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid83/dep/freebsd/patches/local_patches/release%3A%3Ai386%3A%3Aboot_crunch.conf.patch?revision=1.1&view=markup

--