Wifi for Lenovo Laptop

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Aug 30 13:58:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Chris wrote:

> Using pciconf as per jb's hint tells me it is a broadcom I have:
>
> none3 at pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x060814e4 chip=0x472714e4 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
> device     = 'BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller'
> class      = network
>

> As per the release notes for 9.0 (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/hardware.html#WLAN), the bwn(4) driver be the one to use.
>
> Added the following to my /boot/loader.conf following the instructions in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-wireless.html and rebooted.
>
> if_bwn_load="YES"
> wlan_wep_load="YES"
> wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> wlan_tkip_load="YES"

The last three are included in the GENERIC kernel.

The bwi and bwn drivers need firmware, which is provided by the
net/bwi-firmware-kmod and net/bwn-firmware-kmod ports.  So install
whichever is appropriate.  I think the driver tries to load the right
firmware automatically, but haven't tried a Broadcom in a while, and it
might still be necessary to load the firmware module in
/boot/loader.conf.