Wifi for Lenovo Laptop

Chris devnullaccount at yahoo.se
Thu Aug 30 13:29:42 UTC 2012

>________________________________

Hi Waltman, jb and Daniel,
(sorry for not replying to the latest email in the thread, something is wrong with my email account)

Thanks very much for the help, it is really appreciated.
I called Lenovo support and the only info they had was that it was "an Intel card", so that's the same info as jb had tracked down (and I also found myself).

Using pciconf as per jb's hint tells me it is a broadcom I have:

none3 at pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x060814e4 chip=0x472714e4 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
device     = 'BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller'
class      = network

As per the release notes for 9.0 (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/hardware.html#WLAN), the bwn(4) driver be the one to use.

Added the following to my /boot/loader.conf following the instructions in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-wireless.html and rebooted.

if_bwn_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"

(also tried the bwi(4) driver instead of bwn)

I still don't get anything in dmesg or ifconfig. So either I have missed some step, or this specific card isn't supported by the bwn/bwi drivers.
Anyone have any further ideas?
If not, I'll try to track down some USB WLAN card that is supported, as I've also heard the same thing as Daniel, i.e. that non-Lenovo cards are blocked by the BIOS if you try to replace the default one.

BR,
  Chris