/tmp filesystem full

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Thu Aug 23 00:58:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> For the mentioned appliances, that would not be a problem.
> However there's a distinction between /tmp and /var/tmp
> that can be summarized like this: The content of /tmp may
> disappear after a reboot (see clear_tmp_enable="YES" in
> /etc/rc.conf), whereas /var/tmp is to be preserved during
> reboot. Some programs rely on this behavior when putting
> "delete-temporary" and "keep-temporary" files into the
> respective directories.

You are quite right - most of what's in /var is expected to be
persistent.  In the case where /var/tmp is on a mfs, it's hard to
oblige.  On these same systems, I do have rc scripts that save parts
of /var (those listed in an rc.conf variable) for shutdown, and
populate those dirs (after /etc/rc.d/var does its mtree stuff) on
start up.

- M