/tmp filesystem full

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Aug 23 00:43:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:35:29 -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry I misread the previous post which *was* referring to an md device,
> > but the rest is right.
>
> Not really. ;-)  The one compelling reason to use an md filesystem for
> /tmp or /var is when you have no swap, and/or your root fs is read
> only (or read mostly), as with embedded computers, Soekris boxes
> booting from CF, USB stick, or even mSATA (I wouldn't swap on a
> partition on an MLC mSATA device).
>
> In that case, you most certainly want to reserve the space for the
> filesystem at creation time.  Usually
> /tmp -> /var/tmp is that case.

For the mentioned appliances, that would not be a problem.
However there's a distinction between /tmp and /var/tmp
that can be summarized like this: The content of /tmp may
disappear after a reboot (see clear_tmp_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf), whereas /var/tmp is to be preserved during
reboot. Some programs rely on this behavior when putting
"delete-temporary" and "keep-temporary" files into the
respective directories.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany