Performance and mouse problems

Jerome Herman jherman at dichotomia.fr
Mon Apr 30 15:20:40 UTC 2012


On 30/04/2012 13:39, Albert Shih wrote:
>   Le 29/04/2012 ? 00:58:01+0200, Jerome Herman a écrit
>> I was afraid this would happen. And I fear it is just the begining.
> Why you say that ?
Short answer : I am a proud member of the "HAL and DBus are evil" group.
Middle answer : HAL and DBus were made, maintained and tuned with pretty 
much nothing but Linux in mind. As a result they hardly play well with 
other OS, and will tend to play worse as the time goes by.  In fact 
general opinion is that HAL never truly worked under Linux either, it is 
now officially deprecated.

>
>> I assume you did not create any custom hald rule. Did you ?
> I have one, but I try with him (I use since hal existe on BSD) and without
> him. For the same result. The pad in the laptop working but not the usb
> mouse.
>
>
> In fact I don't think the cpu load is connected to this problem.
>
> I already send a email to freebsd-stable.
>
> Well but that not a solve the Xorg don't see the mouse.
>
>> The first thing to do is to add
>>
>> Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
>>
>> In your ServerLayout section of xorg.conf.
>> Then restart X and try to plug a mouse again. It may result in your mouse not working in X, but at least it should stop your computer from using all it's CPU trying to map the mouse.
>>
>> If indeed the CPU load does not reach skyhigh levels when you plug a USB
>> mouse, we will be able to conclude that there is a DBus/hald problem.
>>
>> Also could you do the following
>>
>> - Mouse unplugged :
>>
>> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald stop
>> # /usr/local/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes>>   /tmp/hald_debug.log 2>&1
>> # dbus-launch lshal>>   /tmp/dbus_hal_debug.log 2>&1
>>
>> - plug mouse
>>
>> # dbus-launch lshal>>   /tmp/dbus_hal_debug.log 2>&1
>>
>>
>> And post the content of both log files ? That should help in understanding what is going on. In the worst case there are mecanism that will keep HAL from tinkering/probing usb mouse.
>>
> Here :
>
> 	the hald log file :
>
> 		http://dl.free.fr/rqLTgOvPS
>
> 	(I put some blank ligne juste before I plug the mouse)
>
> 	the dbus log file before I plug the mouse :
>
> 		http://dl.free.fr/iDgqyLgu6
>
> 	and the dbus log file after I plug the mouse :
>
> 		http://dl.free.fr/lZuRadJFx
>
> I'm not qualified  to said if it's hald/dbus problem, FreeBSD-Stable
> problem or both. I don't think it's a FreeBSD-Stable problem because in the
> dmesg we see the mouse plug
>
>
> ugen5.2:<vendor 0x413c>  at usbus5
> ums1:<vendor 0x413c Dell Premium USB Optical Mouse, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.09, addr 2>  on usbus5
> ums1: 5 buttons and [XYZT] coordinates ID=0
Ok looking at your files, it does not appear to be a hal/dbus problem 
either :
The device is correctly probed and registered with DBus, known as 
/dev/ums1, and the x11 driver is mapped to "mouse" which should be correct.
For one reason or another, xorg is not catching/processing the info.

Can you send the Xorg log ? Just wait until X is up and then plug the 
mouse. I am curious to see what happens inside xorg.

Regards.
Jerome

> Regards.
>
> JAS
>



More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list